Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Maleri Iles - Senga bay

These Islands are part of Lake Malawi National Park (World Heritage listed, see link below). Conservation of these amazing islands has been difficult. A friend of mine has taken a concession over them in an effort to preserve these unique islands (some Cyclids are only found here, nowhere else in the world!). Fishermen from all over the lake have been using them as a camping ground , a 'half-way house' where they could dry and smoke their catch. The result has been a disaster to the island environment with much of the timber removed.
I camped here on behalf of my friend for 2 months, under a fig tree. My task was to assist the newly appointed Dept of Parks and Wildlife Scouts and to manage six labourers clear and develop a campsite for tourists. I also tried to talk to the hostile, displaced fishermen who in many cases came from as far afield as Likoma where fish stocks are already virtually depleted. They now camped on the mainland and paddled past most evenings.
It has become quite evident that without tighter control, fish stocks throughout the lake will be severely reduced. There is no doubt in my mind that the size of catches are smaller as is the size of what people think is a big fish! My childhood memories are of huge Chambo, easily caught. This is no longer the case.
Aquaculture and retraining of fishermen is the only answer to work towards a sustainable future. Someone go for it - make a project of it in Senga Bay! I'll help write it up if I can.

http://whc.unesco.org/pg.cfm?cid=31&id_site=289

2 comments:

-A said...

Hi Jeff,
Your experiences with fishermen are somewhat like mine and others I work with. Thanks for your comment on me website. I am a Canadian volunteer....and I work out of Domasi, near Zomba.
Good luck in your projects!
Annie

Leslie said...

Pictures look great, I can see why you chose the Maleri Isles, really beautiful.....good luck for the future.....from someone in time but not meant to be for you, hope you find what you are looking for!