Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Pre departure introduction

Welcome to my blog. This will be my way of getting news to friends and family (and possibly making new contacts with like minded people). Therefore there's little need to introduce myself.

I'm going to working Malawi for two years with the World Food Programme as an Australian Volunteer. I'm originally from Malawi, only emigrating to Australia 20yrs ago. I've been back several times and have watched with dismay the environmental and humanitarian catastrophe unfold, caused by HIV-AIDS, weather disasters, population growth and bad governance.
My position is - Programme Officer - Private Sector Partnerships.
Assignment Objectives - To support initiatives that seek to address issues of food security and sustainable agriculture through development of linkages between the Malawi-based private sector and WFP's food assistance projects, such as school feeding, therapeutic and supplementary feeding, and community food for assets activities in the agricultural sector.

I must point out that as a volunteer one does get paid. The volunteer is usually paid a basic wage in accordance with what a local person would be paid in the same or similar role. Housing is also taken care of aswell, so you see we're not too badly off.

Malawi, the warm heart of Africa, is a beautiful country whose main asset is it's people. I have always enjoyed my interaction at whatever level with the people of Malawi, from teasing the scrawny little boy selling hard boiled eggs beside the road to discussions with aspiring polititians with Doctorates. There's no altruistic, self-sacrificing reasons for going. I know how much I have personally gained from volunteering in the past. I plan to get satisfaction from the job, to improve my Chichewa language skills and to enjoy myself. I'll be meeting old friends and I look forward to making new ones.

I have less than 2 weeks before leaving. The briefing is completed, the medical, the police check and other paper work is done. I'm ready to go. I have a fair idea of what to take and what to expect to find available in Malawi but it doesn't make packing any easier. Last time I went I packed too much.

Well as they say, "I'll keep you posted".

No comments: